Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Just one stitch

I have a stressful job, not physically but sometimes mentally I am stressed out. It helps that I have a bit of drive home to work out some of the stress before I get home but I really want to be able to stitch more often in the evening because for me it really is a stress reliever. I have been considering this a lot since I got back from vacation and realized that I don't really have time built into the day to do that on the days that I work. I want to be more intentional about that. I was reading some other blogs today and someone else had their finishes listed and the list was huge. I just can't imagine ever getting that much stitching done in  a year. I will be lucky to add even one more thing to the list for this year. I am not worried about it but realized that stitching truly makes me happy why am I not taking more time to do it.
For a long time I wrote on a board who had a section on folks who stitched "the daily strand" and that was a way to work to finish a piece that had been neglected or one you really wanted to get finished. The commitment was to stitch a strand a day on something.  I think I will go back to the daily strand and see if that will help eke out the time to get  a few stitches done and improve my frame of mind.
Hope your day found you time to stitch.  If so what were you working on? marjo

7 comments:

  1. I've heard of the daily strand theme too. It sounds like it might work. But honestly, when I'm absolutely spent from work even a daily strand can be a nightmare. I've learned that when I'm to that point, it's best to not touch anything. There are nights though when I could stitch and I don't and I realize later that I miss the calmness that it gives me. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works for you. What neglected WIP will you be working on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, tried the daily strand for awhile, but life often got in the way. I do try to stitch every day, but with my job situation right now, I find that I don't get to sit down with a project on a daily basis. I'm currently working on a LHN Christmas ornament to give to my niece. I also finished two needlepoint ornaments during a 5hr. car trip on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know if I worked full time there's no way I'd stitch as much as I do. I hope you find a way to squeeze more stitching into your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand. I am in the same position. I too have a stressful job and a family that needs me after work. I love your idea of a strand a day. I have recently made a decision to stitch a little bit every day in a effort to try to get something completed - we'll see how it goes. So far, 3 days in and I've stitched at least 30 minutes each day. Some of it on my lunch break - but that's more than what it was. Sometimes I would go weeks without a single stitch. No wonder nothing gets finished! I'm going to join you and hopefully we can encourage each other! That is if you'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know exactly what you mean marjo - many times i have no stitching time in my days. By the time I get home from work then it's getting dinner together and cleaning it up and other errands that need doing. Also need to spend time with my husband too. I try not to compare my finishes to others but sometimes it's hard not to! i hope your strand-a-day helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marjo I think all of us that work have the same woes - I am blessed that I have a very quiet household (no children - no pets) and can come home - eat dinner and if I am lucky get in my chair and stitch or knit. If I get 2 hrs a night I am very lucky. My hooking is what is suffering - I tried the 10min a day hooking mantra but I keep my frame and stuff in my wool room and it is in the back of the house - far away from hubby in the sun room so I am fallen off my 10 min a day and therefore I am struggling with getting even one rug finish this year. Still have 2 mos left to finish Merry Halloween - I'd like to try - good luck with trying to eek out more time - it's not the finishes but the journey that is important to me. Enjoy your journey - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your alphabet blocks is looking wonderful. I know exactly what you mean about finishes. I am seriously lacking this year. It's really depressing actually. I don't know how I used to get so much more done! I'm waiting for things to slow down, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. Problem is that I keep adding lots of patterns and fabric to my stash, so when will I ever get the chance to finish it all?!
    Hope you get some stitching done too!

    ReplyDelete